History of the Northern
The Northern has been a part of Billings’ history for more than a century and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The Northern Hotel began in 1902 when P.B. Moss and Colonel Henry W. Rowley started construction on the most modern hotel in Montana. By 1904 the hotel was completed and was prosperous until the fall of 1940 when it burned to the ground—only to rise again, more sophisticated and beautiful than ever. Decades of historic events and memories later, the Northern closed its doors in 2006. Then came the Nelson brothers, Mike and Chris, who brought the Northern back to life and, once again, made it the most modern and luxurious hotel in Montana.